Monday, May 10, 2010

Critique of the Moment: Marni Fall-Winter 2010


As much as I adore Marni's menswear line, I have to admit that Consuelo Castiglioni's creative forces haven't done much to reinvigorate this collection. Marni is known for quirkiness, violent clashes of color, print and texture, and a hint of matronly attitude. Sadly, the menswear is lacking much of that.

I don't know why but Marni's core philosophy doesn't translate well into men's clothing. I'm a fan of Castiglioni's intellectual, artistic themes yet it always seem to fall flat for men. I'm not asking for wild colors and tantalizing prints--I want life! Marni is supposed to be a manifestation of joie de vivre! The collection's lookbook, on the other hand, suggested otherwise.

At any rate, WWD reported that Marni's Fall-Winter 2010 collection focused on multi-purpose wardrobe: "a Persian lamb coat with detachable flannel sleeves, and a reversible, waterproof cotton and wool blazer." On the bright side, the menswear did adopt the signature "chunky" footwear; they incarnated into thick-soled boots similar to Doc Martens.

Oh recession, and your clamor for versatile clothing. I loathe thee.

Left: Simplicity at its best

No comments: