Friday, September 4, 2009

Lust of the Moment: Jeans


First of all, I want to thank everyone who greeted me a happy birthday. Your remarks truly made my day so much more worthwhile. Second, I want to acknowledge that gift-giving on my birthday is not entirely mandatory (although I would happily welcome some!). I firmly believe that trying times are ahead, and there is no reason to spend frivolously on my behalf.

Speaking of frivolous spending, yesterday I wandered around Ventura Blvd., earnestly looking for a thrift store to raid. I did stumble upon a sedate thrift boutique that displayed various offerings. I found a pair of Diesel hi-tops that would definitely go well with my jeans, but only offered a size no bigger than 9 and a half. Also, I discovered a cozy black wool peacoat from an under-the-radar label and a nicely fitted military jacket from Zara Men. Although they were enticing to purchase, acquiring a pricey jacket and peacoat simply failed to register with my money frugal reason.

I knew I desperately needed a persuasive excuse to buy clothes. I needed a sign to validate my shopping urges. I needed something to satiate my fashion wants. I needed retail therapy, and lots of it. I needed jeans.

Despite my coerced aversion to all things unnecesarrily costly, the impulsive "I need jeans" argument quickly caught momentum. After all, jeans are used no matter the season and no matter the place! That's why when I set my eyes on a pair of K Karl Lagerfeld jeans, I knew I just had to have them.

Unfortunately, I have to wait. With its relatively high price tag (compared to other jeans), it might take months for me to score them. But as writer Sarah Ban Breathnach once said: Whatever we are waiting for...it will surely come to us, but only when we are open to receive it with an open and grateful heart.

3 comments:

Ahahgshene said...

well, i hope you get those jeans from ventura blvd! hey, i've never been there! take me one day!

Trish said...

you know i only have like 1 pair of jeans i wear? hahahah my lover has more pairs of jeans than i do!!! & i'm pretty sure everybody else has more than 1 jeans unlike me! but then again i hardly wear them!

Nico said...

ABBY: I'll take you there someday. Hehe. But I'm telling you, their price isn't as low as Goodwill's.

Trish: How do you survive with 1 pair of jeans? Then again, I do find wearing only one pair easier. But I'm so afraid of them fading. :(