Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Item of the Moment: Backpack Got Back




Marni, Alexander Wang, Lanvin and Patrik Ervell

Remember when you were young and had the clamoring to get the IT backpack? Not the ones with Prada or some haute label stamped on it, but the ones that have your fave cartoon plastered on the front. (Extra points if it had a clock!)

If that childhood itch went unscratched, most designers have you covered. Backpacks became the new IT accessory for Alexander Wang's Wall Street-inspired runway while Lanvin, Bottega Veneta and Patrik Ervell took advantage of its utility in the men's Fall collection. For Spring 2011, Consuelo Castiglioni of Marni furnished her man-geek with the sporty sac.

Clearly, there's some sort of budding romance between fashion and functionality. And why shouldn't it? For many seasons, designers have dabbled with the most ridiculous bag designs that barely satisfied the job description (see Dior Homme's manclutch).

Backpacks fit the bill perfectly because they're designed to swallow any item with ease. The fact that you can sling it on both shoulders is an added bonus. Just be wary of the bag's overall look. As shown above, simplicity is always key.


Images except Alexander Wang and Patrik Ervell from gq.com; Alexander Wang from polyvore.com; Patrik Ervell via stylebubble.co.uk

6 comments:

noone said...

lol. I totally had a backpack with like mickey mouse on it or something. now I have a backpack with PUMA on it for the gym, not much of a change for me!

Farah said...

I like! very much more than the 'manbag' ;)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oh at last. Fashion + Functionality indeed. Guys in backpacks always seem to remind me of the school boy next door

Ddays Of Our Lives said...

I say yes to fashion and functionality, and that's right backpacks seems to be the new it-item, I have not found the perfect one for me yet, still looking for it.

Ricademus said...

My unfulfilled want was for cool lunch boxes. I had a hand-me-down or two, but mostly used brown paper bags.

Trish said...

weird & funny coz instead of bringing a purse to Hawaii, i brought my Louis Vuitton backpack!